Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The Unhealthy Healthy Snack

This morning as Fabulous Son was getting his bag packed for school, I reminded him to grab something for his morning fruit break. When I was a kid, we didn't get any snack time during the day. By the time I got to middle school, I decided to bring stuff and keep in my locker for in between classes. I wasn't so lucky as to have it planned into the teachers' schedules.

He tells me, "Yeah, I got some Chips Ahoy crackers." By this he means the expensive low-cal snacks I picked up for myself. Lucky for me, I don't think those are more cookie than cracker and therefore don't qualify for his school-time snack, and I made him choose something different. (Whew! That was a close one, I almost had to share my yummy treats.)

So then he decides he'll take some healthier Cheese Nips that I got for Wonderful Hubby. I had to talk him out of taking those to school too, because I think those are still too close to a junkfood.

This whole interaction is happening while I'm on the treadmill trying to get in my workout for today. The treadmill is a super loud beast, and on top of that the TV show I was watching didn't have closed captioning so I had the volume blaring. Getting Son to hear me and getting him to speak loud enough for me to hear him was an added challenge to the morning.

Geez, Louise, I wasn't asking him to take brussel sprouts or something! After me telling him all the bazillion different healthy-ish options he had to choose a snack from, he finally decided on some cheesy pretzels. Hallelujah! Who knew choosing something for snack at school had to be such an ordeal.

Mornings were much easier when he just took his apple or banana and didn't think he had a choice in the matter.